Friday

Music EdVentures - Sum it Up!

I have not been able to write recently. Life gets in the way sometimes. But I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the Music EdVentures conference in Vancouver. My recent posts gave a few details but let me expound a bit.


The SongWorks approach is focused on several principles of teaching and learning. The conference itself was an example of those principles. As we attended the conference, we were all teachers and students at some point over the three days and experienced each principle of the SongWorks approach. I'd like to talk about a few of those and how I felt it was imbued throughout.

  • Students deserve an engaging learning environment in which they feel safe enough to demonstrate freely their understandings and skills through various types of participation.
As we participated in a number of activities, we became the students. We were always in a welcoming environment. The attendees were so eager to share and discuss ideas. It was most important to reflect on how we felt as a "student" since this would give us insight into how our students would feel as they do the same task. Teachers don't often think from this perspective and continue on their way leaving many behind. Acting as a student in an activity and truly focusing on those feelings can help you adjust your teaching habits. Are you really giving your students the best learning environment? Can they express what they understand?

  • A teachers attitudes, behaviors, and methodologies should be compatible.
This principle goes hand in hand with the last one and was clearly evidenced by all who presented at the conference. Everyone was excited to share their own ways of using the SongWorks approach. There were so many varieties but yet they all shared common elements, those being the Principles of Teaching and Learning. Ideas flowed quickly and all were connected by the same thread. It was exciting to listen. My note taking was jumbled in trying to keep up!

  • The way music sounds rather than how it looks guides the selection and presentation of patterns for study.
This was probably the most thought provoking principle portrayed at the conference. It was so fascinating listening to people discuss just how do we decide what musical element to teach. But more importantly, "Why?" (I chuckle thinking about Peggy Bennett's reference here to "whhhyyyy?") I think that too many, far too many, teachers never consider the why of what they do musically. I know that I have fallen in that trap myself. One can see how students fail to connect musical elements together because they don't make sense in the way they were discovered.

  • Quality of life is enriched through music and singing.
Ah, definitely the best yet. A few days of singing, listening and playing. If only every day could be filled with such joy. But wait, I teach music, I CAN have every day with singing, listening and playing. Thank you Music EdVentures for reminding me how full and wonderful life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment