Monday

In the Hall of the Mountain King and mi re do

Oooooo, this did not go so well. I had already done this music and story, and posted about it. Kids loved it. It went well with how I used it previously. This time we were trying to play act the story and with not so much success. Hmmm, I think the story was too much. They had a difficult time following all the pieces and keeping the flow going. We were going to use this for our Young Authors Day performance but I may have to resort to something a bit simpler.

On another note though, and this one very encouraging. In a kindergarten class I told them I would be giving them a secret part of a song. I then proceeded to chin the song using "lu". I told them it was from a song we know but I was not going to tell them which song. They had to listen and see if they could figure it out. I chose the ending of The Farmer in the Dell, mi mi re re do, to use as my secret melody. Sure enough those smart little kinders had more than one song picked out! Not only did they say The Farmer in the Dell, but they also found A Hunting We will Go, Hot Cross Buns and one I forgot about, Circle Left! Pretty amazing listeners I have to say. It was very exciting! And of course they pointed out that it was also mi re do! Days like this make me smile for the rest of the week.

1 comment:

  1. I have also struggled with the Playing with the classics version of "in the hall of the mountain king." I usually get to it through "Willum he had seven sons." (has the same rhythm patterns as MNT KING) I actually do it in the older grades. Do the folk song (play with it, dot it, write the rhythms) then while reading the rhythms of the folk song, I introduce a recording of MNT king. They love it. A 5th grader of mine also brought in a hard rock version of the same song, and we do that for a few minutes on a later date. :)

    ReplyDelete