Saturday

Hot Cross Buns

It seems that Hot Cross Buns is one of those little songs that literally everyone knows. Such a simple little melody.

Following the script in Song Play, I introduced the hand signs to my students. They were so attentive and ready to go. (Sometimes I just want to chuckle out loud as I look at their eagerness. They are just fun to watch.) Going through each one, practicing, reviewing and then finally I sang the song to them using the hand signs. Observing doesn't last long since they were quick to see what was happening and tried to follow me. They learned the song quickly and put the hand signs with it. We practiced with one hand, two hands, with a partner (they always love that) and as a group. We also practiced the hand signs while the song was in our inner hearing. They especially love to do this but there is always one character that "sneaks" out a word or two. I find it interesting when they get upset at this student for leaking the words out loud. They definitely want to "hear" it only inside their heads.

Once they were comfortable with the song, I introduced the solfa syllables to them. There was no slowing them down! We sang the song both ways and played with our hand signs. Only then did I show them a smart notebook page with the hand signs. Some children exclaimed "that looks like what we were doing!" They also recognized the mi-re-do words on the page.

We also talked about what a real hot cross bun is and when they were eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment